Healthy Mac and Cheese Recipe That’s Vegan And Gluten-Free
What’s so magical about vegan mac and cheese? Well….just about everything! We can all agree that mac n’ cheese is a popular comfort food, and this recipe allows everyone to enjoy it. Magical Mac n Cheese is non-dairy and can be made with either gluten free pasta or spaghetti squash, making it healthy as can be.
When you opt for fresh spaghetti squash, you get a lighter version of the dish with added nutrients such as:
- vitamin A,
- Vitamin B6,
- and calcium.
Using a gluten-free pasta will make the dish more hearty and add more carbohydrates to the mix. Tinkyada’s rice pasta is my personal favorite, but feel free to change it up and see what works for you.
Now, you might be wondering about the sauce…we’ve all witnessed the unforgettable sight of the neon-orange, unnatural hues of boxed mac n cheese. It may be tasty, but the powder is filled with dyes, starches, artificial flavors, and other things that you shouldn’t have to worry your little head over when fretting over lunch options. You’ll be happy to learn that this vegan mac and cheese pasta is drizzled with a rich, healthy sauce that never disappoints.
Does dairy-free sauce measure up to the store bought concoctions? Absolutely! It leaves them in the dust with its spicy kick of chili powder, garlic, and chipotle powder. Gone are the days when we have to sacrifice taste for nutrition (and vice versa).
Between the natural flavors and the white flour/wheat free pasta, it’s safe to say that this is not your mother’s mac n cheese (no offense, mom).
- 8 oz. favorite pasta (I use Tinkyada Rice Pasta )
- 1 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 heaping tbsp. flour (spelt, rice, or tapioca)
- 1/3 cup nutritional yeast flakes
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp. chili powder
- 1/4 tsp. chipotle powder
- mineral salt, to taste
- Cook your pasta according to package. Drain and place back in pot, set aside.
- In a small/medium sauce pan, heat oil over medium heat, add flour and whisk to incorporate.
- Continue whisking and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add milk slowly, whisking constantly.
- Turn heat to low and cook until sauce thickens, about 8 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Remove from heat. Stir in nutritional yeast, salt, garlic powder, chili powder and chipotle powder.
- Stir until everything is incorporated and smooth again. Taste for flavor.
- Add sauce to the pasta, toss well, add more milk as needed and serve right away.
Comfort foods may do their job to lift our moods temporarily, but they’re not in it for the long haul. This simple alternative will not only make you feel good, it’ll raise your frequency with its magic. Magic being, of course, its high nutrient content. When you’re vibing on high frequencies, you enjoy a life of happiness and inspiration. Who knew food could do so much? Magical Vegan Mac and Cheese is all of the taste and none of the guilt!
Let me show you how to have your cake and eat it too!
Download my 43-page recipe book filled with simple recipes for the foods you love.
Wouldn’t it be cool to eat the foods you crave the most AND have them be healthy? Foods like pastas, burgers, fries, milkshakes, muffins, ice cream, chocolate and more?
What do you think of this healthy mac and cheese?
I’d love to hear from you if you make this. Leave me a comment and let me know how it turned out for you!